What to pack
Preparing for your stay at Makanyi is when the excitement and anticipation really begins. But if you’ve never spent time in the bush, you might not be sure what to pack. We’ve prepared this handy list to give you some guidance and tips.
It is important to note that even in the middle of our winter months, we can still reach high temperatures during the day, whereas it is quite chilly in the early morning and in the evening. By reverse, in the summer, when it does get very hot, we get storms that can drive the temperature down quite a bit so it is important to be prepared for any temperature and dressing in layers is the best idea.
- Shorts and t-shirts or light trousers are ideal for the daytime, and neutral tones like beige or khaki don’t show the dust.
- A pair of good walking shoes is a must for bush walks and any time you get out of the vehicle.
- A wide brimmed hat or a cap is a great way to protect yourself from the blazing sun.
- Plenty of high factor sun cream will help prevent burns. The sun is very strong here!
- Trousers and long-sleeved shirts serve as effective protection from mosquitoes in the early mornings and evenings.
- A light fleece or jumper will keep you warm in the early morning or evening game drives in the summer, and a rain jacket is a good idea for when it gets wet. In the winter months you should definitely bring a warm jacket, jumpers, a beanie hat, scarf and gloves, especially for your game drives. Keep in mind you will be in an open vehicle so consider the wind.
- Remember to bring plenty of film or memory for your camera, and a battery charger – you’ll be taking a lot of photos!
- Do not forget your bathing suit if you plan on sunbathing or taking a dip in the swimming pool.
- A good pair of sunglasses is a must, as the sun is very powerful and they are also good to protect your eyes from dust and insects during game drives.
- Gym clothes if you are planning to work out in the gym.
- A good book to read for when you want some quiet time to yourself!